Another potentially disastrous drinking holiday is upon us. This year, St. Patrick’s Day falls on Saturday, March 17 Oh no. Not a weekend! Doubly scary time to have a knock-down, drag out fight under the influence with your date.
So how do you avoid a drunken shouting match with your guy over green-dyed beer? Keep reading:
- Don’t get incredibly drunk. Your brain on booze is dumb. Very dumb.
- Do not do shots. Ever. You get dumb even faster.
- Do not drink on an empty stomach.
- Have a non-alcohol drink in between.
- Do not monitor how much he’s drinking and make the big mistake of not monitoring your own.
- Do not start discussing a serious infraction you saw (or think you saw). Zip it until both of you are stone-cold sober.
- Do not yell at your guy for getting blitzed. He won’t remember. And you’ll be humiliated, screaming at him in public.
- Do not initiate any conversations about his behavior, your feelings, other women, etc. until at least the next morning, when everyone is sober and having a nice cuppa joe and a muffin.
- Enjoy the festivities and don’t focus on the drinking. You have a chance at remembering the night if you do! : )
Here are some additional resources to help you have a memorable, fun St. Paddy’s Day.
Awesome website for tools to help moderate drinking:
Book recommendations if you’re ready to dive into this subject:
Over the Influence: The Harm Reduction Guide to Controlling Your Drug and Alcohol Use. Patt Denning, PhD and Jeannie Little, LCSW, 2017
Responsible Drinking. Frederick Rotgers, PhD, Marc F. Kern, PhD & Rudy Hoeltzel, 2002